Man has arm amputated after eating sushi
Something fishy going on
© Getty Images
Are you a sushi lover? Think again before you continue reading. According to The Sun, a South Korean man had his hand and forearm got amputated after eating sushi.
The 71- year- old man was overwhelmed with unbearable pain in his hand the day after eating the raw fish. When he went to the hospital two days later his hand had turned pink and swollen. The hand was covered with enormous blood-filled sac and fluid-filled lumps. Immediately he was referred to the surgery department.
Tests revealed that the man was infected with vibrio vulnificus, a flesh-eating bacteria found in salty water. People can get infected with the bacteria when eating seafood or having an open wound exposed to the bacteria.
The man was treated with antibiotics, but because he suffered from diabetes, his immune system has been affected and the medication didn't help. Meanwhile, the infection was spreading through his body and there was no other way to stop it than to amputate his hand and forearm. Yikes!
Do you still crave that sushi?
HEALTH opioid crisis
What are opioids?
Musicians who walked off stage mid-concert for weird reasons
Fashion killers: Hollywood's most stylish celebrity couples
Explore these Brazilian destinations with the whole family
FOOD Global warming
Food favorites that may soon be extinct
A look at China’s most impressive knock-off wonders
The most common myths and misconceptions aboot Canada, eh